Thursday, October 3, 2013

What forms of new media do you use daily? How has new social media influenced your perspective of events? Are these positive or negative influences?

Currently, I only use the Internet, having cancelled both my cable television and landline telephone.  I am utilizing Facebook to keep in touch with friends, Craigslist for second-hand purchases, YouTube and Netflix for entertainment, Gmail instant chat, DVDs and CD-ROM, and many websites that I have a newsfeed from. From the Internet, I can make free phone calls on Skype and MagicJack, streaming video and audio recordings, download photographs from my digital cameras to social media for publication, and of course, email.

Recently I cancelled my AT&T 3G cell phone contract due to the Edward Snowden leaks that this company and many others were either allowing or forced to include a backdoor opening for unwarranted surveillance of American citizens by the National Security Agency. I felt it was important to make a statement that this was unacceptable to me, personally. I have been without mobile communications and computing for about six months, and though it is difficult, believe I made a strong decision that affects the companies that have the clout to lawyer-up to the NSA.  This has also impacted the way I use social media sites like Facebook and Google.

I try to make my social media a positive influence in my life and my child's life, while minimizing the negative influences as much as possible.

Do you think cancelling my TV and commercial phone contracts is 'radical' and extreme to make a point?  Let me know!


Source: Glenn Greenwald, The Guardian (2013)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/jun/09/nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-interview-video

 

No comments:

Post a Comment